Overnight on a brokerage account — additional yield from securities
When money is lying around and doesn’t work, it starts to devalue. If we are talking about a couple of tens of thousands – it is not terrible, but if it is a million or more? Significant financial amounts should always work. To make your money work for you both day and night, most credit institutions today offer both private and legal entities a service called overnight.
What is overnight trading on the stock exchange? This is an additional way to increase your income. Sometimes there is a need for additional finances for a short period of time, for example, until the start of the next working day. Those who provide this money receive a certain percentage for their services. The person who receives the money must return it within the time period specified in the agreement.
There are currently three types of overnight payments:
- disbursement of credit funds;
- accepting money for a deposit;
- overnight repo – purchase of securities.
In the latter case, one of the parties to the transaction purchases securities with their mandatory subsequent sale on pre-agreed terms.
In the process of concluding REPO transactions, the broker has the opportunity to work with the securities provided to him, and he undertakes to return them within the agreed time frame. If he was trading, he will need to buy similar securities, otherwise he will have to pay compensation.
Such transactions are in demand mainly in the foreign exchange market. When an open trade moves to the next day, an overnight trade is made to close an existing one, and the same one is opened the next day.
Overnight on the stock exchange is an opportunity to earn money by providing money
Anyone who invests their finances receives a certain percentage of remuneration for this, the amount of which is determined by the following reasons::
- using funds in a short time is quite problematic, so the recipient is not willing to pay the usual price for using money or securities;
- since the return of funds occurs almost immediately, there are practically no risks of non-return, in contrast to the usual credit conditions, which also affects the amount of remuneration.
The overnight interest rate is determined from the annual interest rate of such loans. Since the borrowed funds are returned every other day, the rate is divided by the number of days in a year, so the reward will be small. To earn good money in this way, you need to provide significant amounts of money.
Overnight loans. What is the benefit?
At first glance, it is quite difficult to understand the popularity of such deals. The benefit to the lender may depend on the following factors::
- the money is not used at night and on weekends, and when making overnight transactions, it makes a profit.The more funds provided, the higher the income on overnight loans will be;
- short-term loans are less risky than long-term loans;
- there is no upper limit for making an overnight deposit;
- as a rule, transactions are executed in rubles to avoid risks when the exchange rate changes.
The advantages can also include quick registration of the service. Some banks offer the opportunity to conclude a transaction online.
Deposit Placement Terms and Conditions
Certain requirements must be met when executing overnight transactions:
- the contract concluded between the active parties must specify the rights and obligations of the parties, as well as prescribe the rules of action in case of force majeure;
- the time of performance of the obligation is six hours, it is allowed to increase it to one day, this is stipulated in the agreement of the parties;
- the agreement and the set rate affect the minimum deposit;
- the interest rate for using borrowed funds is calculated within the limits regulated by the Central Bank, and it is also affected by the chosen tariff.
Overnight interbank loans
In addition to servicing individuals and businesses, credit institutions also place overnight payments between banks. Most credit institutions sometimes require additional finance. In this case, overnight stays are the perfect choice for them.
An interbank overnight loan is a short-term loan, usually extended for one day or only one night. In other words, one bank issues a loan to another banking organization. In this case, the lender receives interest at the expense of borrowed funds, and the borrower uses the money received to solve existing problems. Both sides win.
A special feature of interbank tinkoff overnight is the interest rate of 2 % per annum and significant loan amounts. Usually, they are estimated in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the same time, such loans are issued only in rubles.
Investment or overnight?
Considering overnight loans to individuals or small businesses as an investment income option is not always profitable, since even with the lowest return, ordinary investments will be more profitable than short-term placement of their money.
For large companies with large cash turnover, where every minute can be crucial, overnight is a real godsend. And for investors who are used to working with more traditional strategies and risks, a short-term investment at low interest rates may not seem attractive enough.
An overnight loan is one of the most important business tools. Such transactions allow you to profitably invest money that is not otherwise able to make a profit. When choosing such loans, you need to carefully weigh all the positive and negative aspects of the transaction.
Overnight money transactions are a profitable tool for large companies and banking organizations. They allow you to earn additional income at any time of the day or borrow money for a short period of time.
There are practically no risks in this case, if you cooperate with trusted banks and reliable brokers.